Last Updated: September 18, 2023
Tapatalk is designed to keep you connected to the forums/sites you love. And designed to protect your privacy. We believe privacy is a right, and you have a right to keep it private. Our goal is to be transparent about how we collect and use information about you, to keep such information secure, and to provide you with meaningful choices.
WHAT THIS POLICY COVERS
● What information we collect and why we collect it.
● How we use that information.
● The choices we offer, including how to access and update information about you.
To help you understand what personal information we collect about you, here is a summary of the primary information we collect:
● If you log in, we collect your email address to create a Tapatalk ID.
● We collect information on the advertising identifier to provide you targeted advertising.
● If you use the a Tapatalk Groups’ website, we collect information through cookies to provide you targeted advertising, and your IP address to help control email spam and abuse management.
● We collect anonymized data for analytics purposes such as hardware and operating system information, performance statistics, and data about how you use your devices and applications.
● Location data in non-European Economic Area countries.
Everforo, Inc., doing business as Tapatalk (“Tapatalk”, “we”, “our”, or “us”) is a Delaware corporation located in the United States of America. We are an aggregator of websites and communications platforms (“Service”). Tapatalk operates the Service at https://www.tapatalk.com and on the Tapatalk Groups websites at https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/*name of group*(“Website” or “Websites”, as applicable) and on our application available on various mobile operating systems (“Application”). We make third party websites, chat rooms, forums, message boards, blogs, RSS Feeds, and/or news groups (collectively, “Sites”) available to users of the Service.
The Service is hosted in the United States and is available through the Websites and the Application, and is not directed to individuals under the age of 16. Tapatalk does not knowingly collect information from individuals under 16 years of age without prior parental or guardian consent, or consistent with applicable law. If we learn that we have collected personal information from individuals under the age of 16 (or a different age, if applicable law provides for different protections), then unless we obtain parental or guardian consent to use or maintain that information, we will take steps to delete it.
TRANSPARENCY AND CHOICE
People have different privacy concerns. We believe you should have tools to control information about you and manage your experience with us. For example, you can find controls to manage or review your account information, marketing preferences, and collection of location data by going to your Profile Settings on the App or Website. If you opt out of receiving targeted ads, you will continue to see ads, but they may not be as relevant or useful to you. For more information on ads and how to opt out, see the section below headed “Advertisements; Ad Networks; Other Third Parties”.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information to better provide the Services to our users - from tailoring your experience with the Application and Websites such as showing you content we think you might be interested in, making recommendations of Sites to follow, to advertising, measuring advertising performance, and related research.
We may collect and combine information when you interact with the Service, including:
Information you give us. We collect the information that you voluntarily give us. For example, when you register for a Tapatalk ID, we ask for your email address, user name, birthdate and password, and may request other registration information required by a Site to register as a member.
● Information from your use of the Service. We collect information about how you use a Website and Application like which Sites or Users you follow, and the content you view. This information includes:
o Device information: such as your IP address and an anonymous device identifier. In addition, the Application collects certain information automatically, such as content viewed, and information that allows us to periodically determine mobile device and usage information, which may include (i) information about the way you use the Application, (ii) information specific to your mobile device (such as make, model, operating system and version, Internet browser, device IP address, cookies, anonymous device and/or advertising identifier and similar information), (iii) information about your use of features, functions, or notifications on the device, and (iv) signal strength relating to WiFi or Bluetooth functionality, temperature, battery level, and similar technical data. We may collect the foregoing information even if you are not logged in to the Application;
o Browser information: such as information automatically provided by browsers like user agent and IP addresses accessing a Website; and
o Location information: for users outside the European Economic Area, such as information that allows us to periodically determine your actual location. We may collect the foregoing information even if you are not logged in to the Application. For iOS users, you should be able to adjust the settings on your iOS device to prevent collection of location information by disabling the location services feature on your device. For Android users, you should be able to adjust your settings on your Android device to prevent collection of location information by disabling Bluetooth and location service features on your device.
● Information from others: If you use Facebook or Google + to log in to the Application or a Website, we collect your email address and profile picture. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share (or not share) certain information with us to create a Tapatalk ID. Services like Facebook give you the option to post information about your activities using the Service to your Facebook profile page to share with others within your Facebook network.
We do not have any “sensitive” or “special categories of personal data” as defined under European data protection laws.
HOW WE COLLECT USER INFORMATION
● Web beacon; tags; pixels: are blocks of code that can read and place cookies, recognize certain types of information on your device, such as which websites or apps you use, and your browsing behavior, as well as provide Service analytics; and
● Mobile device identifiers: are standard device identifiers, for example the “IDFA” advertising identifier used on Apple’s iOS devices and the “Google Advertising ID” advertising identifier used on Android devices, to analyze your use of mobile applications.
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION COLLECTED
We use the information collected to provide the Service and personalize your use of the Service. For example, we use the information collected for tailoring your experience with the Application and Websites such as showing you content we think you might be interested in, and making recommendations of Sites to follow. Such information may be used by itself, aggregated, or combined with other information from third parties. We may also use information collected to deliver you information and/or promotional materials about Tapatalk and/or to carry out other purposes that are disclosed to you, and to which you consent.
We may also use the information collected for the following purposes:
● To send your username and email, and if requested by a Site, birthdate and other responses to questions required to register for the Site(s) you choose to follow so that you become a member of that Site. You agree to comply with the rules, regulations, end-user license agreement, and terms of service of each such Site. If you do not want to allow other users to follow you or your threads, please visit the Profile Settings>Public Profile section in the Application to make certain information private where available.
● To contact you in connection with the Service, which may include sending you periodic updates on trending discussions from the Sites you follow, if you receive a “like” for one of your posts to a Site, and/or if you were quoted in a post on a Site. You may opt-out of receiving promotional mailings from us by following the instructions set forth in the Email Opt-Out section below;
● To log you into the Application with the information we receive from your use of Facebook Login or Google + as described above;
● To provide user support and site administration;
● To improve the Service;
● To enable advertising and standard advertising controls;
● To measure and report on advertising performance, trend analysis, and pattern detection;
● To protect the safety and security of users of the Service or members of the public including acting in urgent circumstances;
● To protect or defend the legal rights or property of Tapatalk, advertisers and other third parties, including business partners such as advertising businesses, as well as our corporate affiliates, in connection with the Service;
● To investigate, deter, and report against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity, and/or risk management; and
● To comply with applicable law, rules, regulations, or legal process.
SHARING THE INFORMATION COLLECTED
We share the information collected as follows:
● Advertisers: We share information collected with advertisers and other third parties, including business partners such as advertising businesses who are obligated to comply with applicable laws concerning usage of the information, as well as our corporate affiliates, in connection with the Service (such third parties and affiliates collectively, “Affiliates”). In addition, our Affiliates may share this information with their own third-party business partners who may use the information either for themselves or on behalf of the applicable Affiliate, each only for the purposes set forth in the section above headed “How We Use Information Collected”;
● Service providers: We share information collected with our service providers to facilitate some aspects of the Service or perform functions on our behalf. These service providers may use information about you solely for the purpose of providing these services to us or on our behalf;
● Sites you choose to follow: We share your name, username, and email with the Site(s) you choose to follow so that you become a member of that Site;
● Legal and other purposes: We may share information collected with law enforcement, regulatory authorities, courts with competent jurisdiction, emergency services, or other necessary third parties for legal, protection, security, and safety purposes;
● Business transfers: We may share information collected in connection with the sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets to a third party buyer.
INFORMATION OUR VENDORS AND OTHER THIRD PARTIES COLLECT
● Analytics Service Providers
o We may allow certain third party analytics service providers to collect the anonymous data received from cookies, web beacons, tags, pixels, and devices on our behalf, and to retain and use this data themselves. In addition, we may allow these service providers to include web beacons within the pages of the Websites and anonymous identifiers on the Application. We may also share portions of our log file data, including IP addresses, with these service providers for analytics purposes. These service providers aggregate information about what you see and interact with on the Websites and on the Application.
● Advertisements; Ad Networks; Other Third Parties
o We may allow certain third party companies to serve advertisements to you and collect anonymous information regarding your use of the Service. Typically, these companies are third party ad servers, ad agencies, technology vendors, providers of sponsored content, and research firms, and they may include cookies and web beacons within the Websites, or other tracking methodologies such as anonymous device identifiers on the Websites, directly in emails/communications, and/or within the Application to collect anonymous information in order to provide customized content and/or ads of interest, auditing, research and reporting for us, our partners, and advertisers when you visit certain pages of the Websites or Application, and other websites or applications. For example, because your web browser requests these advertisements and/or web beacons from the third-party’s web servers, these companies can view, edit or set their own cookies, just as if you had requested a webpage from their website directly. When you view or interact with an advertisement, the possibility exists that these companies will make the assumption that you are interested in the subject matter of the advertisements.
o In addition, we or our data partner(s) may collect and store a unique identifier matched to your mobile device, in order to deliver customized ads or content while you use the Service or other websites or applications, or to seek to identify you in a unique manner across other devices or browsers. In order to customize these ads or content, we or our data partner(s) may connect de-identified demographic or other data about you (received from third parties) either to data you voluntarily submitted to us (such as your email address), or to data automatically collected from you (such as your device identifier or IP address). However, we will only share your email address with our data partners in hashed, non-human readable form.
Opt Out of Targeted Advertising and “Sales” of Personal Information:
Residents of Colorado, Connecticut, and Virginia have the right to opt out of targeted advertising and "sales" (as defined under applicable law) of their personal information. In order to exercise your right to opt out of targeted advertising or "sales" of your personal information, please click on the “Your Privacy Choices” link at the bottom of the webpage where your information is being collected.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a resident of California, you have certain rights and protections under California law, including the California Consumer Privacy Act, regarding the collection, processing, and use of information about you. The information that we collect about you when you use the Service as set forth in the Information We Collect section above may include information that is considered “personal information” under California law. We do not knowingly sell the personal information of individuals under the age of 16 without their (or, if under 13, their parent’s or guardian’s) affirmative authorization.
We share the information that we collect about you when you use the Service as set forth in the Information We Collect section above to the third parties listed in the Sharing The Information Collected section above, and there may be instances where such disclosure constitutes “sale” of “personal information” as those terms are defined under California consumer privacy law. You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information, and in order to exercise that right, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tapatalk, Attn: Privacy Officer, 406 Broadway #158 Floor, Santa Monica, CA 90401.
Under California law, you have a legal right to make, and we have a legal obligation to respond to, your request (a) for a copy of the specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you in the past 12 months, including the categories of information, sources, and purposes of collection, as well as categories of third parties we have shared it with, and/or (b) deletion of personal information that we have collected about you. In order to submit such request, please contact us at email@example.com or Tapatalk, Attn: Privacy Officer, 406 Broadway #158 Floor, Santa Monica, CA 90401. We may ask you for additional information in order to verify your identity before responding to such a request, but we will use such additional information only for purposes of such verification.
We will consider and respond to your information and/or deletion request promptly, and otherwise in accordance with applicable laws. Although we will use good faith efforts to respond to your request, we may not be able to provide and/or delete your personal information in all situations. For example, we may not be able to provide the personal information requested if it imposes an undue burden or expense, requires us to release confidential commercial information, requires the disclosure of personal information relating to another person, or requires authentication of the request that is not feasible.
Under California law, you have a right not to receive discriminatory treatment by a business for the exercise of your consumer privacy rights conferred by California law. We will not discriminate against you, including by denying or providing a different level or quality of the Service, if you exercise your rights under California law.
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING INFORMATION (EEA users only)
If you are a user located in the European Economic Area, our legal basis for collecting and using the information described above depends on the type of information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
We may rely on our legitimate interest to collect information from you, except where such interests are overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. Where we rely on our legitimate interests to collect and process information about you, they include the interests described in the section above headed “How We Use the Information Collected”.
However, in some cases, we may rely on your consent or have a legal obligation to collect the information about you, or may otherwise need the information to protect your and/or our vital interests or those of another person or entity. If we rely on your consent to collect and/or process information about you, we will obtain such consent in compliance with applicable laws.
If you have questions about or want further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use information about you, please contact us using the details in the “Contact Information” section below.
EUROPEAN DATA SUBJECT RIGHTS
If you are a resident of a country in the EEA, you have certain rights and protections under European law regarding the collection, processing, and use of information about you. As set forth above, the information that we collect about you when you use the Service may include certain digital identifiers that are considered “personal data” under European law. We process this data either because it is necessary to further our legitimate interest and/or pursuant to your consent.
As a resident of a country in the EEA, you have the right to:
● request access and obtain a copy of the information we collect about you;
● request rectification or erasure of such information;
● restrict the processing of such information;
● if applicable, data portability.
In certain circumstances, you may also have the right to object to the processing of such information.
Exercising EEA Rights. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tapatalk, Attn: Data Protection Officer, 406 Broadway #158 Floor, Santa Monica, CA 90401. Please note that because most of the information we collect and maintain about you can only identify a particular browser or device, and cannot identify you individually, you may need to provide us with additional information to enable us to identify the information we have about you and ensure that we accurately fulfill your request. We will consider and respond to your request promptly, and otherwise in accordance with applicable laws. Although we will use good faith efforts to respond to your request, we may not be able to provide and/or correct the requested information in all situations. For example, we may not be able to provide the information requested if it imposes an undue burden or expense, requires us to release confidential commercial information, or requires the disclosure of information relating to another person.
Onward transfer. As discussed above, we may share information with Affiliates, as well as third parties in connection with the Service. Under the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Principles, we are responsible for the processing of personal data we receive from the EEA, and subsequent onward transfers to a third party acting as an agent on our behalf. We comply with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Principles for such onward transfers. If the third party agents we engage to process such information on our behalf act in a manner contrary to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Principles, we are liable for those actions, unless we prove that we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
EEA inquiries and complaints. In compliance with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Principles, we are committed to resolve complaints about our collection or use of personal information. EEA residents with inquiries or complaints regarding our collection or use of personal information should first contact us at email@example.com or Tapatalk, Attn: Data Protection Officer, 406 Broadway #158 Floor, Santa Monica, CA 90401. We will respond to you within 45 days of receipt of your inquiry or complaint. We have further committed to refer unresolved privacy or data use complaints under the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield to the panel established by the EU Data Protection Authorities (“DPAs”). If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact your relevant local Data Protection Authority for more information and to file a complaint by using the information located at: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm. The services of the panel established by the DPAs are provided to you at no cost (free of charge). We have committed to cooperate and comply with the advice given by the panel established by the DPAs with regard to unresolved complaints. If neither we nor the panel established by the DPAs resolves your Privacy Shield complaint, you may have the possibility to engage in binding arbitration through the Privacy Shield Panel, as described on the Privacy Shield website located at https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=ANNEX-I-introduction.
CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT; DELETING INFORMATION
Our goal is delete the Tapatalk account you requested within 30 days of receiving your written request. For the Website, we will delete you email, IP address, username and your profile information. We will also delete your posting and images tied to your username. Because we do not control all other Sites, please contact the Site owner to delete your account information.
If you remove the Application or close your Tapatalk account, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that information about you is no longer accessible or used by the Service. However, as permitted by applicable law, we retain and may use information about you as necessary to comply with our legal and/or financial obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, and other legitimate purposes (including, for document retention and security purposes). Please contact us using the details in the “Contact Information” section below to close your Tapatalk account or request changes or modification of the information you previously provided to us.
Tapatalk uses industry-standard physical, electronic, and procedural measures designed to safeguard the information in our possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. However, please note no transmission of information via the Internet or electronic storage solution can be guaranteed to be completely secure, although we take reasonable precautions to protect against security incidents.
RETENTION OF INFORMATION
We do not store information longer than we need it. The cookies we set expire no later than 30 days after they were last accessed. We typically store the information collected, such as IP address and other information described above until the next login. When we no longer need the information collected, it is deleted from either the cookies or our servers (as applicable).
In some cases, we may keep some information for longer periods of time where required under certain laws or to comply with law enforcement or regulatory requests, which for example may include, those relating to corporate governance, taxation, money laundering and financial reporting legislation.
EMAIL OPT OUT
You may opt-out of receiving promotional emails from us, by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in the emails you receive from us. You can also manage your email settings for the Website by going to your Profile Settings>Board Preferences>Edit Notification Settings. You can manage email preferences in the Application by going to Profile Settings>General>Email Notifications.
Residents outside of the European Economic Area:
Attn: Privacy Officer
406 Broadway #158
Santa Monica, CA 90401
European Economic Area residents:
Attn: Data Protection Officer
406 Broadway #158
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Important note: The data controller of information about European Economic area residents is Tapatalk, Inc. at the above address.